Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Catching up

Three weeks ago, I faced an uncertain future.
Now, it has begun to take shape.
If even for a short time.
For months now, I allowed the talk of AnnArbor.com - the new media company replacing The Ann Arbor News - to go on without me. I was determined that I wouldn't be part of an outfit that drove myself and so many of my friends out of work.
But as time passed and no definite employment opportunities in front of me, I gave in to the talk. I began to pay attention to what was going on with the company. I heard a sales pitch of why I should join the AnnArbor.com team. I created a mental pros and cons list. I wrestled with the idea of becoming a digital journalist.
A digital journalist? I am a journalist, period.
But as I went back and forth whether I would become part of the new venture, I came to a conclusion.
I still want to impact the world with my work. Even if it's working as a sports digital journalist. There are stories left I can tell. The site would offer me new ways to tell them. I could shoot and edit video. I would learn to blog. I would Tweet on Twitter.
So two weeks before the paper was to close, I accepted a job with the dot.com as it has become known among my Ann Arbor journalism friends.
I cleaned out my desk at the paper and moved my belongings to our new work space a few blocks away. I said my goodbyes at one office and my hellos at another.
I am thinking this is only the beginning of my great new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment